Ubuntu Desktop 18.04.2 LTS (Bionic Beaver) is the latest LTS version of Ubuntu which released on 14 February 2019.
LTS stands for long-term support — which means five years, until April 2023, of free security and maintenance updates, guaranteed from the Ubuntu.
Recommended system requirements:
- 2 GHz dual core processor or better
- 2 GB system memory
- 25 GB of free hard drive space
- Either a DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media
- Internet access is helpful
We use original USB stick 16 GB from the good quality known brand. Also, as part of quality process, we made the bootable USB stick from the same checksum (sha256sum) of the following “ISO source” image file:
ubuntu-18.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso = 22580b9f3b186cc66818e60f44c46f795d708a1ad86b9225c458413b638459c4
The desktop version allows you to try Ubuntu without changing your computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later.
Use the following guidance for the version, you need to choose the correct version:
32 bit PC (i386) server:
- For almost all PCs. This includes most machines with Intel/AMD/etc type processors and almost all computers that run Microsoft Windows, as well as newer Apple Macintosh systems based on Intel processors.
64-bit PC (AMD64) server:
- Choose this to take full advantage of computers based on the AMD64 or EM64T architecture (e.g., Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Xeon, Core 2). If you have a non-64-bit processor made by AMD, or if you need full support for 32-bit code, use the i386 images instead. Choose this if you are at all unsure.